Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:52:08 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Hey, Peaches...

Started by Bricktop, May 21, 2019, 10:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

I stumbled across this.

I found myself in agreement in all but #3.

If you have a spare 15 minutes, tell us what you think...

(and everyone else into music as well, of course).

">

Anonymous

TOP 2 REASONS NOT TO WATCH THIS:

2. "My producer made me do this."

1. "I love Ace Frehley."

~~~~

Bricktop

Yeah...but watch it anyway.

You know you want to.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Yeah...but watch it anyway.

You know you want to.

I did watch it.  How else would I have come up with the quotes?

caskur

If I had my Fender Classical guitar still, I'd smash it over Peaches.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

caskur

And because I love to derail threads...

Knopfler and Clapton

">
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Bricktop

Quote from: "Peaches"
Quote from: "Bricktop"Yeah...but watch it anyway.

You know you want to.

I did watch it.  How else would I have come up with the quotes?

:oeudC:

So did you concur? Dispute? Dismiss? Shrug?

Wazzzup

I gotta agree with all of that.  Although I am okay with Zak wylde.  I always thought Layla was a great song but Clapton's solos put me to sleep

On the flipside there are a lot of great players you'll never hear of.  Here's one in my opinion.

">

Wazzzup

BTW this seems timely (start at 2:00)

">

BTW

One of the guitar players in that is the GoT theme composer

And another is Dan Weiss GoT writer producer

Bricktop

Quote from: "Wazzzup" I always thought Layla was a great song but Clapton's solos put me to sleep

I would have put Clapton at #1.

Vastly overrated in my view.

That does not mean bad...just not deserving of the mythological reverence he receives. I'v e never been able to listen to any of his slbums right through. Terribly dull, meandering and at best "middle of the road" blues based pop.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peaches"TOP 2 REASONS NOT TO WATCH THIS:

2. "My producer made me do this."

1. "I love Ace Frehley."

~~~~

I like one song by Ace Frehley.

caskur

Best guitar players,..

Neil Young and Mark Knopfler (Dire Straights)... hands down.
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"
Quote from: "Wazzzup" I always thought Layla was a great song but Clapton's solos put me to sleep

I would have put Clapton at #1.

Vastly overrated in my view.

That does not mean bad...just not deserving of the mythological reverence he receives. I'v e never been able to listen to any of his slbums right through. Terribly dull, meandering and at best "middle of the road" blues based pop.

Here's the problem with people knocking Clapton or Santana or Hendrix, in a nutshell.

All 3 of them, while they were absorbing music from one or several major roots, successfully put down another, NEW tap root which has continued to nourish succeeding generations of players.  Basically, all three of them HEARD something no one previously had heard, and transmitted it to the ears of those who could hear it.  I could be specific about what that was, in each of their cases, but that's outside of the assignment you've given me.  But Clapton peaked in Mayall's band, and again to a lesser extent in Cream when (probably with Bruce's prodding) he fused Clapton's blues and some Geoff Beck licks from the Yardbirds.)  But the lightning bolt of hearing BB King and his ilk, and savagely translating them into white English, was really Clapton's supreme achievement.  And as early as 1969 I sat in a dinky music store in Middle America and heard a 7th grade boy play every single riff and note Clapton had recorded with Mayall, note for note, with nearly all of the emotional content.  By 1972 everyone in the world was playing Clapton's gifts, and sadly he never had any more epiphanies.  He remained adequate as a craftsman, but he had no more to offer.  Gary Moore could and did play Clapton's blues to perfection after Thin Lizzy's heyday, but did you notice that even though he eventually captured Robin Bell's licks he never remotely sounded like Robin Bell?

Santana fused salsa with the (mostly English) rock guitar sensibility he heard from Peter Green, Beck, and others, and he's been coasting ever since (although he's maybe done a modicum of innovating.)  But get on YT and see how many 14 year old girls are covering Samba Pa Ti, and you'll start to understand his legacy which is considerable.  

I forgot to mention...Slash doesn't belong on this list either.  I can't be arsed to explain that, my post is already too long.

A kid starting out in say 1990 with the guitar will hear and absorb all that shit, often without knowing to whom he owes what debt.  Those guys are already in the canon, though, and there's no denying them their props. But sure, most guys on this list are mediocre.  Nancy Wilson of Heart plays more guitar than any of them, and was doing so by 1975. The point is valid, it's stupid to venerate a guy whose signature and sole contribution is the use of a stomp pedal built by some electrical engineer.

You'll never see guys like Zappa, Vai, Geoff Beck, SRV, or even a legion of session players whose names you probably don't even know, on a list like this.  Those guys are where the magic is.

I do wish Clapton wouldn't embarrass himself by thinking he's got the stuff to sit in with Wynton Marsalis's jazz band, though, just because he's spent some woodshed time over the past few years learning a few jazz standards.  That cringe-worthy disaster is on YT too, but please don't watch it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wazzzup"BTW this seems timely (start at 2:00)

">

BTW

One of the guitar players in that is the GoT theme composer

And another is Dan Weiss GoT writer producer

That was fun, but in view of its being a composition for cellos I'd much rather have seen some Gibson guitars in that army.  You really need the quack of dual coil pickups IMHO.

Anonymous

Quote from: "caskur"Best guitar players,..

Neil Young and Mark Knopfler (Dire Straights)... hands down.

I'm afraid you'll need submit your audition tape in order for your opinions to carry any weight.

Print
User actions